Monday, January 26, 2009

Guess Who Gets to Be a Teacher!!!

So before I start in on my title subject, I need to talk about my weekend. So My friends and I got way lost on the way to the play, so we missed it. Sad, I know, but we're going to see another one for class soon- I mean we have to anyway. Saturday was amazing. We went to Mont St. Michel and Saint Malo. Guys, I am ready to move in for life! haha Ok so Mont St. Michel is incredible. First of, let me say there are about a million stairs to the top of this historic monastery and I climbed them all!! Rocky ain't got nothin on me! We saw some some monks carrying a big bucket of water. I took a photo of it. They reminded me of characters from Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The view from the top is breathtaking. Mont St. Michel is on an island almost- it depends on when the tide is in and out- surrounded by sand and marshy fields. The horizon goes on forever and its so peaceful. The interior of the monastery was very interesting, but it was the exterior view that made the experience. I took loads of pictures and I'll make sure you all get to see them. There's only one pathway to and from Mont St. Michel with little shops and restaurants (with outrageous prices) lining the pathway. It almost seemed surreal me being there. It was very inspirational, and I want to return in the summer perhaps to do some writing. I wish you all could have been there to see it. Put Mont St. Michel on your to-do list everybody!

Saint Malo is where I'd love to live. It is right on the ocean and the water looks incredible. The town is surrounded by a tall wall- which has many pathways you can walk on to view the ocean. I just sat on the top of the border wall with my friends, soaked in the sun and watched the waves crash against the rocks. I've never seen a more beautiful beach in my entire life. It rivals the Grecian shores you see in all the moves like Mama Mia or Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. The weather was gorgeous, and my friend Megan and I went exploring among the rocks (not a good idea in uggs guys- just throwing that out there). We collected seashells and watched the tide come in. They have a pool sort of built into the ocean- its just a rectangle wall that kind of sticks out of the ocean near the shore similar to a wave pool with platform diving boards on the far side. By the time we had finished exploring the rocks, the tide had come in and the pool border was virtually non existent. When we went into the town, we discovered cute creperies, cafes and stores all over. We shared a lemon crepe and a small jug of cidre. There was a pretty shnazzy state fair-esque amusement park on the outside of the town wall. One of the guys wanted me to ride Toxic with him- which I almost did, but my search for a free bathroom took precedence. Toxic is a ride with four people on each side of a long, long, long, metal pole(thick enough to support both sides obviously). And it just spins around vertically leaving one group straight up and one group straight down. It looked intense. They had a bunch of other random rides like this Casper haunted house ride and a pirate ride that totally had cardboard cutouts of Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbosa ( I definitely think it wasn't legal but whatevs- they're the French, they can do what they want). So anyway, long story short, peace out America, I'm movin' to St. Malo cause I can have a beach in my front yard and carnival rides in my back yard! Try beating that!

That evening I had a nice dinner with some girls from IES at one of the girls' houses- her host family is away for the week. We went to the Monoprix first to stock up on food and this french guy came up to me and asked me a very inapropriate question (use your imagination). When I pretended I didn't understand French he said "Not English, French, French.. uhh I love you. I love you." Awkward. My friend came to my rescue. Warning: The produce aisle can be dangerous in France. Men may try to pick you up. haha Its really not a big deal just always remember safety in numbers! Yesterday my entire host family helped me on my grammar homework. It was pretty hilarious. We had duck for lunch and when my host mom explained this to me, me lil bro said "Comme Donald, le meilleur ami de Mickey." Only I didn't understand him with his French accent so he said it like 3 times before I said "Oh Donalad!" In a total American accent. My whole family laughed and imitated my reaction/accent. Good times :)

Ok so today I met with the professor who is going to organize my teaching internship. Luckily I'm with another girl from IES so we can walk to and from there together. She has the 18-20 year olds that are getting ready for the Bac (sort of like the SATs only more intense and life defining) and I have the 16 to 18 year olds- at least that's the plan for now. We were given a tour of the school and the prof explained how things are going to work. I'm so excited!!! I'll be teaching english to high school kids!! Originally I wanted little kids, but I decided I wanted to work with kids who are at a higher level of English. I don't want to be teaching kids how to say cat or dog- no thanks. So the school isn't far from my house, and it is huge!!! Its a specialty school, vocational if you will, and they have these massive shops with loads of intense machinery that I've never seen before in my life. Kids wearing jumpsuits and such work with these machines that are hard core (Rosie the Riveter comes to mind). There are two schools in one and the building is shaped like a big hollow square with 3 basketball nets in the center cement park. I'm so excited to get started!!!! I get to formulate my own daily activities! I work with the kids 4 hours a week on English. Technically I won't really begin for 3 weeks because they get two weeks vacation starting February 6th. On the way home from the school, though, I was shocked. All the kids were smoking! I couldn't believe it. Robin Williams wasn't kidding when he said they give babies cigarettes here! -for those of you who missed that Robin Williams Live on Broadway reference, you're missing out... go watch it! Well, time for some R&R and then some Devoir (homework). Later!!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you, teaching should be a valuable experience. I pictured Saint Malo with your description, I love being near the ocean, it sounds as if it was beautiful. I also loved the first movie Sisterhood of the traveling pants the story and the scenery. I have the second movie, but haven't watched it yet. Your weekend seemed exciting, it's always nice to explore new places. Beware of those french men (so I hear) they love women of color and women period. I wish you good luck with the teaching. Continue to enjoy yourself. I'm Loving learning about your adventures. Hugs and kisses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That really sounds awesome! I hope that you don't get any troublemakers (although I am sure that you could handle it). I love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete