Monday, January 25, 2010

Mr. Darcy, Storm Cancelling, and Heath Ledger- What a Weekend!

Hello my darlings! I hope everyone has had a splendid weekend! I've enjoyed myself rather well, I'd say. Friday night was the last night of rehearsals in Mundelien 409, and we worked on staging the end of the show. We got pretty close to finishing. We had quite a laugh towards the end because two cast members, Gabe and Michelle, had to do a kissing scene because they play a married couple. What made it so funny was that one minute Michelle's character is talking about how destroyed her house is- which is totally tragic- and in the next she goes to kiss her husband (Gabe) before talking about her destroyed house again. As the moment is written it seemed like "We've lost everything. *passionate kiss* damn Katrina, I can see straight through my house." I mean in context it makes sense because the husband and wife have been separated for a couple weeks because of the storm, but just reading the script made it seem hilarious and nonsensical. After rehearsal, Michelle, Kelsey, Lia and I went to Lia's apartment to hang out. My good friend Felipe came as well. We ate junk food, watched Pride and Prejudice ( we played a game where you had to take a sip of your drink every time someone curtsied or spoke about marriage), and talked until 4:30 in the morning. It was awesome and well needed.
On Saturday, we moved into the Mullady theatre for rehearsal, and we finished staging the whole play- whew! That afternoon we did a full run through with scripts for the music designer. We managed to get comfortable in the new space pretty quickly which was really good, and we finally got to work with tables! We use 12 chairs and 8 tables for the show, only we hadn't worked with tables in the staging up until this point because they had to be built. Well, now they are done! There are also a couple instruments that are going to be flown in and out for the "jazz band" moments, and they already had a trumpet, a sax, and a drum set wired to be flown in and out. It looks sooooo cool!!! I can't wait to see the whole thing when its all set up. They're just waiting to get a bass. At the end of rehearsal, we started to rework Part I a bit. There was this hilarious moment where Gabe plays Kelsey's producer and he asks "Should I cancel the show?" only at the end of rehearsal he accidentally said "Should I cancel the storm?" Everyone burst out laughing and was like "Yes! And the play ends..." lol With out the storm there'd be no story right? But wouldn't it be nice if you could just "cancel" a storm. Gabe didn't even realize he said it, which made it even more hilarious.
So that night I went to a concert with Kelsey, Michelle, and Kyle at The Metro in Wrigglyville to see Kelsey's good friend's band play. We got lost on the way there, but we managed to find it eventually- we went the wrong way for .7 miles thanks to some bad directions-spontaneous work out! The band was pretty good. The drummer was drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon in between songs which I thought was funny, and one of the guitarists used a violin bow to play which was pretty awesome. The band had two drummers, which is something I've never seen before. All in all, good times. Poor Kyle was starved, so we only stayed for the first band before heading to a McDonalds for sustenance- much to my chagrin ( I try to avoid eating at fast food places as much as possible). But it was worth it because we witnessed what looked like a homeless man drug deal going down in there. There were two grubby looking guys sitting together pulling random crap out of their backpacks like a tea kettle, body spray, sponges, just the most random stuff. We had a good laugh about it. Afterward we made a pit stop at Starbucks where we chatted with the barista about the Power Rangers. Surprisingly he knew a lot about all of the different seasons. When we got back on campus, I went to Lia's to work on lines- we had to be off book by Sunday. Her friend Patrice was there, and we engaged in some healthy conversation. By the end of the night, I felt pretty confident about my lines!
Today was really rough. I got a decent night's sleep, but I was still dead tired! Everyone was! It was a really rough rehearsal  which sucked because it was Paul's 20th birthday today. We went through and changed a lot of Part I and II of the play, and it looks a lot better! When 4:00 rolled around, though, I was revved to peace out. Tonight I ended up talking with my friend Andrew on the phone for 3 hours instead of sleeping like I had planned on doing lol. We ended up grabbing a drink at Rock Bottom Brewery and seeing The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.  It was very weird and confusing at times but also cool and very beautiful. It was so nice to see Heath Ledger alive and in a new movie again. It almost made me forget he was dead. Whoever said his acting in this movie was like the Joker is ridiculous. He was splendidly different! But it was so strange- the plot I mean. I felt very lost towards the end. Well, I need to get some sleep. Bon nuit!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm happy to hear your weekend was good. Mine was good too, although the weather here was rainy. Have a good week. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. drinking game to P&P sounds so legit. love it and i'm glad you had a great weekend, darling, and hopefully i might here more from you soon? have a great week! <3 Lauren

    ReplyDelete