Thursday, June 13, 2013

Tony Afterglow

So, Sunday at the 67th Annual Tony Awards....AMAZING!

I couldn't have attended a more perfect first Tony Awards ceremony in my life.

First, that opening number was incredible! I think they had almost every Broadway show, old and new, from this season up on stage at one time! Only Wicked and Book of Mormon never made appearances.  Lin-Manuel Miranda co-wrote the opening number with Tom Kitt and did a phenomenal job! Because I was there in person, I got to see the whole thing happening on stage instead of relying on the camera angles CBS deemed worthy to see.



Second, 4 African American artists took home Tony awards! Patina Miller for Best Actress in a musical, Billy Porter for Best Actor in a Musical, Cecily Tyson for Best Actress in a play, and Courtney B. Vance for Best Featured Actor in a play. That's a big deal!


Third, a Jujamcyn show took home the Tony for Best Musical! KINKY BOOTS! We had much to celebrate last night! I'm so proud to be a part of such a wonderful company and a spectacular show! Now it is going to be pretty impossible to get tickets! So glad I've seen it a few times already!

Fourth, this:



Finally, The epic closing number with NPH and Audra McD! I was actually sitting in about the 6th row when this happened! My mind was blown...




As a seat filler, I had to be at Radio City Musical Hall at 4 PM. My friend Valentina and I waited in a long line of glamed up seat fillers for a good while as they checked everyone in. We took photos inside in front of the Tonys signs. When everyone was checked in, we had the introductory meeting where they explained what we were going to be doing and how it would be working. Questions were asked and answered.
A bathroom break was given. Radio City Musical Hall's women's bathroom is the most glamours wash room I've ever seen. They have a huge room with several mirrors that each have their own table and cushion chair! But the bathroom isn't the most exciting part, obviously. The best part was seeing everything live and moving about in the orchestra to different seats, seeing all of the stars, producers, directors, writers and designers that make it happen (plus a plethora of extremely wealthy upper east and west siders who shelled out the big Ks to sit in the orchestra). Cecily Tyson, Shalita Grant, Sigourney Weaver, Tom Sturridge, Jerry Mitchell, Laurie Metcalf, John Gore, Nathan Lane, Bertie Carvel, Courtney B. Vance, Angel Bassett, the cast of Pippin -  just to name a few people I was in close proximity to. I witnessed an usher accidentally stepping on Cecily Tyson's dress while walking past me. She gave him a look that could kill! It was priceless!

Valentina and I attended a lovely after party or two and garnered curious attention from the every-day-dressed tourists and general public while roaming Times Square. I could certainly get used to the chic appeal. Galas and balls, where do I sign up?

There was a bit of post Tony drama this week. The Daily Mail accused NPH of dropping the N word during the opening number. I can say from actually being there that the accusations is unfounded. But just to validate NPH's defense Playbill posted the lyrics for the Opening HERE. All I can say is they were really fishing for drama with that one. Guess they couldn't think anything better (or credible) to report. Other Tony lyrics can be found HERE.

I think my year has peaked. What more could top that? Other than being nominated for something at the Tonys, of course. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Who knows, maybe a Broadway show is on my horizons this year. Fingers crossed!








No comments:

Post a Comment