Thursday, May 16, 2013

Getting Back on the Horse...Or Trying To

So it's been nearly a year since I've written or even looked at this blog. I'm sure so many readers in the world have been feeling total abandonment and loathing since August (you can't see it now, but I have a sarcastic smirk on my face). All I can say is this, I moved to New York City, and faster than I ever expected (to my great please, I must add), I was swept up into the world of The Great White Way! I started working on Broadway and that was it! Goodbye free time (who needs ya!), goodbye sleep, and  goodbye faithful readers, or maybe reader (Thanks Dad!) By the grace of the gods (all hale Zeus and Odin-just kidding!), I am still here working my way to the top. I've met a host of brilliant people and had some unbeatable experiences all within less than a year of my arrival. I can only hope for more to come! I would have loved to have done a frequent update via the blog, but everyone tells me sleep is a necessity that I shouldn't skip out on. Anyway, enough with the excuses! I'm making time!

Now since August, I have seen dozens of shows on and off Broadway. I have even worked on a few. I've met quite a few celebs and many important people in the industry, gone to openings and opening parties, worked at gala events etc. Perhaps one day when I feel the motivation, I will give more of a detailed blow by blow. I can tell you now that I have seen 27 different Broadway shows in the last 11 months, some multiple times (i.e. JEKYLL & HYDE 4 times, PETER AND THE STARCATCHER, THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD and KINKY BOOTS 3 times, as well others twice each). But for now, I'm going to start with yesterday.

Last night I did student rush for THE LAST FIVE YEARS at Second Stage and was lucky enough to make the cut! Beautiful show, beautiful performances, amazing set. I have to say though, I wish someone would warn me beforehand when I am going see a show that consists entirely of singing sans dialogue. It isn't always my cup of tea. Sometimes you just need a break you know? And the actors do, too, I think. I mean if I wanted the opera style, I'd go to the opera, right? But thankfully this performance is only 90 minutes long, so the consistent stream of song was bearable, plus the actors were wonderful! I am constantly in awe of Betsy Wolfe's performances. I saw her in EDWIN DROOD twice last winter at 54 Below and was blown away by her voice. She's also pretty hilarious when she wants to be, effortlessly of course. Adam Kantor was just perfect in this role. That's all there is to say, perfect....The minute he started singing I thought, "He has the perfect voice for Mark in RENT," and guess what? He was Mark in the closing cast on Broadway. Perhaps casting is my calling. Back to L5Y, both actors really embodied their characters, and I believed them the entire time. I didn't cry like everyone else claimed to do, I guess because A) You know from the beginning that the couple is going to break up, and B) People under the age of 45 these days have a hard time sticking to "til death do us part" through thick and thin anyways, so I wasn't surprised or heartbroken. I was just like, "huh, that was real." No tears here! The beautiful voices and music  nearly elicited tears from my eyes, but that's it.  Anyway, I really enjoyed it. It's closing this weekend, so if you're in the city catch it before it's gone!

Check out this awesome video of Adam Kantor singing a number from the show for the NY Times Click Here!


Things Happening this week!

  • Tigers Be Still at the Drilling Company May 17-25 Wed-Sat @ 8 Sun @ 3 (I'm the House Manager! Come see the show!)
  • The Drama League Awards May 17 @  The Marriott Marquis (I'll be working registration, so come say "hey" if you're there!)
  • My lil sis is graduating from high school this weekend! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment