Thursday, March 26, 2009

We're off to see the......Omaha Beach

So I've had an ultra busy week, what with preparing for the arrival of my dad and my little sister, so we have much to catch up on. So last weekend I went to Normandy with the IES program. It was a long 4 hour bus drive with ultra cramped seats. We all tried to catch some Zs but it was not happening. I found my self in the most awkward positions at times! You would have laughed if you'd have seen it.Megan and I ended up listening to the "Legally Blond the Musical"soundtrack the rest of the way. We practically got through the whole thing! Anyway, upon arrival in Normandy, we were given nearly 2 hours to walk around the city and get food. I hung out with this guy Andrew whom I've become chumy with. We tagged along with two other girls for a while, grabbed paninis and explored some old churches in the city. It was a beautiful day, the sun was out, and everyone was lounging on the grass near the ruins of the old Donjon (keep) built by William the conqueror. Andrew and I decided to explore this said donjon and sit on the edge of the huge wall surrounding it. We made some rebel moves and explored some forbidden and ultra high territories, but don't worry- it was perfectly safe- or at least I didn't die as a result of it so it couldn't be too bad! It was pretty cool and enjoyed the view from the top. When we all got back to the bus, we headed to the Caen Memorial museum. It was a really intense experience. There was so much information about WW I and WWII, I was speechless. They had real nazis flags, and footage from the Blitz of 1940. There were war kits and jeeps and maps of central europe indicating where all of the concentration camps were and what kind they were- work camps, or extermination camps or etc. It was really eye opening. I had no idea how many there were! And they had letters sent by soldiers to their families during the war. This museum gives you a stronger visual of the war than any film can. It made it all the more real for me and thus more difficult to distance myself from it. Some of the boys in our group had bought beers in the city and got drunk before they went in the museum because they said it would be "easier to handle." I was so embarrassed to be an American at that moment- or at least to be in the group with them. Midway through or visit, we watched a video of the Normandy Landings on D-Day June 6th, 1944. I couldn't believe it, but they had actually footage of the soldiers landing on Omaha beach and being shot at. I saw real people really being killed! It was...it was not Saving Private Ryan, I'll tell you that much. Young men, some younger than me even, were walking to their death to fight for our freedom. They knew they were going to die and they did it anyway. That is scary and incredible. The film also gave us a day by day month by month view on the map of the German occupation and the progress of the Brits, Americans, and Canadians during the war. I hope we never have to see a war like that again. Men and guns are such a bad combo. After the film, Megan, Andrew and I checked out a photography exhibit done by this French photo journalist named Raza. His photos were incredible. He showed all of these dark sides of third world countries, but also showed the life that the people in those countries had. I was really moved by many of his photos and their was much to read about each one. He was actually at the museum that day for a book signing. After the Raza exhibit, Megan and I visited the British Garden and the Canadian Garden which are memorials dedicated to those who fought in the war. The British Garden has tall bush trees designed in the shape of a huge Celtic cross that you can walk into with a fountain in the middle and a "quite" place for reflection at the head of the cross. The Canadian Garden was very subtle. It was kind of on a hill that had a winding path way down where you could walk along the base of the museum and go into the Nobel PRize exhibit. I went in this exhibit alone because Megan already looked at it- but it was a bad idea. The exhibit was bigger than it looked, the music was creepy, the lighting was utlra creepy (think 80s space ship with those ugly green and neon lights), and there were only 2 other people in the exhibit. I certainly learned a bunch about the Nobel prize but I walked through it quickly so as not to linger. I took a quick gander at the American Garden because it was time to leave and I managed to take a photo of the memorial plaques for New York, Indiana, and Chicago. I must say that this was the coolest garden of them all with a huge fountain that spilled over into a pond- there was a path under the 'waterfall' where all the state plaques were. It was cool. When we got to the hotel, we all pigged out at the french food buffet (we were all ultra excited about the all u can eat aspect- Americans love to eat!) The desserts were incredible and I think everyone had about 5! Don't worry, they small things. I was ultra tired so I stayed in and played president with a big group of people for a really long time before getting to bed.

Sunday was the big day. We went to the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial. The first thing our chaperon told us was that we were officially on American soil- America owns the property. We all cheered and hollered, but the celebrating stopped as soon as we got to the cemetery. When you walk in, you see this grand Memorial horizontal arc (like a Grecian building, almost, with pillars) facing the wave of white grave stones in the shapes of crosses or stars of David. In the center of the marble arc is a 22 foot tall statue called "The Spirit of American Youth Rising From the Waves" Its a nearly nude man with his arms lifted like when you stretch or raise your arms. There were maps on either side of the walls of the arc indicating the progress of the Americans/Brits/ Canadians during the war by plane , by boat, and by land. The clock rang 9 and the bells chimed "Oh Beautiful For Spacious Skies" and a few other American patriotic songs. I went to the Overlook that gave a panorama view of Omaha beach and the English Channel and I was stunned by the absolute beauty and melancholy of the view. The day was grey but the water was clear and the beach looked perfect. I tried to imagine what it looked like on that fateful day. It was hard and painful, but I think I managed to visualize a semblance of what it was like. I headed down the steep path/hill to the beach and made my way to where it all happened. The sand was so soft, it was hard to believe that something so tragic could happen in such a peaceful place, but I could hear the gunfire and see the boats being shot at and sinking as they made their way to the shores. I could see the bodies of the young and the loved lying on the sand and dying it red. This soft sand that made cushioned grave. Some of the kids in my group took off their shoes and socks and ran into the freezing water- typial American thing to do. I strolled along the beach and took in my surroundings. I looked at the dunes that are now covered in vegetation, and I walked up to the tide where they water rushed and foamed as if someone had dumped 100 gallons of ivory soap in it. I collected red stone to bring back with me in rememberance of this day and this place. Andrew joined me and I watched him make an American flag sand castle. We then went back to the cemetery to see the graves and the chapel. There are 9,387 headstones. Imagne rows and rows of white crosses and the occasional Stars of David. It was a sea of graves. Our guide plan states that their are 38 sets of brothers in that semetery. WOW. Could you imagine losing all of your children to the war? I definitely wouldn't want to out live my children. The chapel was in the middle of the cemetery and it was like a small, marble, inclosed gazebo with a grand mural on the ceiling. Following our visit to Omaha beach, we went to Pointe du Hoc where the Germans had many bunkers and big guns. It was on the far west side of the beach and high on a cliff. The Americans climbed ladders to get up there and many of them were shot. I don't know much about the history of the place, but I'll look it up and get back to you. The land was full of massive craters where bombs fell, but the craters were over grown with wild flowers and grass- quite the paradox. Most of the bunkers were bombed and partially destoryed, but there were a few still intact so we took a peek. There was no light and it was very scary! We used our cell phones or cameras to see, and they are really harrowing places. I couldn't even begin to imagine spending many days in there where not a drop of sunlight can be found at any time of day. Vampires would certainly love it. Seeing the craters put things in to perspective for me. I was seeing the results of a a war that happened over 50 years ago! The remnants are still there and still as evident. Next we went to Bayeux to grab a bite- probably the best lunch ever! Grilled panini bread with scrambled eggs and emmenthal cheese! And a waffles with sucre glace. It made me feel warm inside and less melancholy about the day. It was a quaint city with qute shops but the streets were totally bare! The only people we saw were tourists. It was almost like a French ghost town. And of course everything was closed excpet for food places because it was Sunday. Our last stop on our trip was Le Harras du Pin- the Versaille for horses. Its this big chateux for raising, racing, riding, breeding, and trading the best horses in the world. It was ridiculous and impressive. People are hardcore about their horses I guess. The museum offered a lot of information about the different kinds of horses, their bone structure and evolution, and the different breeding methods. You could even watch the differents kinds of breeding- lets just say, I'm glad I'm not a female horse. They actually have an airport just for horses in France. Ins't that crazy!!! I guess it makes sense- you wouldn't put animals that weigh several tons on the same planes as people. Planes would fall out of the sky everyday! They are real elitists when it comes to horses in France. We took a guided tour of the place and got to see some of the horses. All of the horses are male because they have some stallions on the property that would break down the door to get at the females- sounds like teenage boys at an all boys school haha. Each horse has its own stall, and each stall has a sign indicating who the mother and the father are (to prevent inbreeding), who the grandparents are, when they were born and where. The horses were all really friendly and ready for their closeups. I really want a horse, and I miss riding. (I was a girl scout- that's the only way I got to ride). One day I would like to buy a horse, and I am going to name it Mephistopheles if it is Black, Nulla if it is Brown, or Angelus if it is white. There was a massive memorial/grave site for their best horse named Furioso who died a few years back, it makes me feel so warm inside to know that while some people die in the streets and barely get a grave, great horses get bigger and more elaborate graves than political figures (please tell me you caught my sarcasm). Some of the horses are older than me (27)! I had no idea they could live so long- before the become glue :(Anyway, it was a very interesting and unexpected experience, but overall it was a great weekend. I will remember it always. I have more to tell you about the rest of my week, but I must get some sleep so it will have to wait. I leave for Paris tomorrow to meet my dad and my sister!!! I'm so excited!! I expect many hugs for they are so scarce in France.

Bon nuit mes amies et bisous!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kimille you are truly walking through history. History wasn't my favorite subject in school, but to experience many things other than spoken or written words make it so much more interesting. I can't wait to hear about your visit with family. I hope they give you many hugs, some from your godparents too. We miss you and love you very much. I think you have had experiences you'll never forget, I'm so happy for you. I enjoy reading about your adventures so much. Thanks for sharing. Have a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimille, I love reading your blog. I feel like i am there with you. Hope you are enjoying your time with Kelsea and your Dad. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. sounds like your having an amazing experience. I'm so proud of you! Have fun! See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete